Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Massive Airbag Recall

34 Million Vehicles Recalled Due 

To Potentially Faulty Airbags

Unless you've been hiding in caves for the last week, you have probably heard about the huge recall, affecting some 34 million automobiles equipped with certain Takata airbags.  The reason?  There is a danger of the airbags exploding... something you'd probably like to avoid.

While you may be notified by the manufacturer that your vehicle is being recalled, that could take some time, and there is a relatively simple way to find out if yours is among the 34 million. 

  1. Locate your car's VIN
    1. Your VIN is the unique identification for your vehicle and contains 17 alphanumeric characters. It may be found on your state vehicle registration, vehicle insurance, or on the vehicle itself – on the driver's side dashboard at the bottom of the windshield or on the driver's side doorjamb. Your VIN will not include the letter “i” or the letter “o”, but may include the number “1” or the number “0.”
  2. Go to this web site:  
  3. Click on the line at the left that says VIN Lookup
  4. Enter your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) in the space provided, type in the "Captcha" and click "Submit" (Note: Because you may be asked to enter this number again, it is a good idea to highlight the VIN and either right-click with your mouse and click on Copy, or Ctrl-C, which does the same thing, BEFORE clicking on "Submit."  You can then simply paste the number later on, if necessary, by right-clicking and selecting Paste, or Ctrl-V.)
  5. View results
    1. Note:  Depending on the demands of the site, instead of seeing immediate results, you may be directed to select the manufacturer, where you will again be asked to enter the VIN.  
    2. After doing this, a page should appear detailing all open recalls for your vehicle.

Friday, May 8, 2015

Your Health Insurance Stops at the Border

Attention:  Your Health Insurance, Even For Those On Medicare, 

Does NOT Cover You Outside the United States

Will you be traveling outside the U.S. in the next 12 months? Make sure your health insurance goes with you. Nearly every health insurance plan, including Medicare and Medicare Supplements, stops at the border.

Here are some expenses you could encounter if you get sick or injured outside the United States.

Non-covered services average cost*:

  • Medical Evacuation                     $10,000  to  $100,000+
  • Political Evacuation                    $  1,000  to  $ 10,000
  • Repatriation                               $  6,000  to  $ 50,000
  • Return of Mortal Remains            $  4,000  to  $ 10,000+
  • Returning of Minor Children         $    500   to  $  2,000
 *MASA – Medical Air Services Association

Okay, so that looks like a bunch of technical terms. Here's the main thing you need to know: If you get sick or injured when you are outside the U.S., your health insurance will more than likely not cover your expense. At best, it will only be a reimbursement. In other words, the foreign doctor / hospital will make you pay out of your own pocket before you get treatment.  Then it would be up to you to try and get your insurance company to reimburse you for the expense.

If you want or need to be transported back to a hospital near your home, it will easily be over $10,000 and could end up costing you over $100,000!

That's the bad news. The good news is that you can get great coverage that will pay for such things and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Bottom line: find out before you go -- call our office today. 800-482-6426, or get a free quote by going to the following addresses:

For those who are enrolled in Medicare:

For those who are NOT Enrolled in Medicare: