Most of these tips are simply common sense. However, as a good friend of mine likes to say, "Common sense is anything but common."
If you're going to use candles, just make sure to:
- Keep them at least 12 inches away from anything that could catch fire.
- Use candle holders that won't easily tip over.
- Put them only on surfaces that are level, sturdy, and free from clutter.
- Don't let them burn all the way down.
- If oxygen is being used in the house, never, ever use candles.
- Blow out all the candles before going to bed or leaving your house, even for just a little while.
More great tips can be found on the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) web site: www.nfpa.org.